Sunday, July 12, 2020

Working from Home

One reason why I like working for my company is that I can earn the right to work at home.  I thought it would be better for my multiple allergies.  I joined the disaster recovery term to learn how and worked one day a month from home.

This is Molly helping me in the new apartment on my disaster recovery day. She was so excited to have me there all day.  For a long time she walked back and forth, rubbing herself against my face. In the afternoon she wanted to play!  So I worked the computer with my right hand and used a wand to to play with her with my left hand.



I was sent to work from home on March 23 for the interim. It has helped my allergies greatly. Between moving away from the old apartment with forced air heat and getting away from all the artificial scent, my postnasal drip has stopped, my asthma is almost gone, and I'm not quite as tired. There was a change in company policy. I shouldn't be going back to the office for a long while, if ever.

My cat Emily loves that I work from home.  After a couple months we were told to come exchange our laptops for our office workstation.  That meant I would  be wearing headphones and using an Internet phone set-up.  Emily was very upset!  I didn't know she enjoyed listening to the phone calls over the speaker phone so much.  She joined any conference call too. She has gotten over that.  Every day she keeps me company sitting on a nearby chair.  



I didn't work for a couple days during the week. She kept trying to get me to go to the computer and start working. She was very happy when I started working the next day. 

One reason I chose this apartment is that it had a second bedroom to use as an office. It was about the only two bedroom apartment I could afford.  I had no idea that a pandemic was coming. I started wearing a mask as soon as the CDC said we should and I've been staying at home.  I've always washed my hands after coming home. So far so good.  I don't understand why so many people in the United States thinks wearing a mask, social distancing, and staying at home is foolish.  I wonder if they were ever taught about the Spanish Flu epidemic from 1918 through 1920.  The Spanish flu in its second wave attacked the healthiest people. They could come down with the symptoms in the morning and be dead by nightfall.  


Once on the radio someone who survived the Spanish flu epidemic was interviewed. He said that that he went to his best friend's house and asked if he could come out and play. His friend's mother told him that he couldn't come out to play and to ask his mother why. His friend had died of the flu. He was one of the 675,000 who died.  How many deaths have we had in this country from COVID-19 so far?




No comments:

Post a Comment