Sunday, May 26, 2019

Over Planted Again

I decided I should plant some flowers this year in case the bumblebees make another nest nearby. One evening after work I found the verbena plant below.


I wanted to plant some violas with it.  However, when I finally went to the garden center that's not open in the evenings, during the week, first I found the lovely Calibrachoa MiniFamous Neo Double Pink.


I also bought my violas, Sorbet Beaconsfield Viola.


After I tried potting them at home, I realized I couldn't use the pot I had in mind and I had to go  bigger. I went back to the garden center to buy another calibrachoa to flank the verbena set in the center.  While pondering what to use to add a little height,  I thought catnip!  I had tried salvia last year and failed miserably.  Partly it was because the plant was small and I wasn't going to pay the prices for large plants.  It was also because the potting soil was poor.  I had mixed success growing traditional catnip because the aphids liked it. A different garden shop had a hybrid I thought I'd try, Kitten Around Catmint (Nepeta faassenii). Maybe the aphids won't like it.  I planted it behind the calibrachoa flaking the verbena. I nipped the tops off to make it branch. My cat Emily gave them her approval.


I just had to buy two pots of the lovely Viola Rebecca. I planted the violas on either end of the window box, the Viola Rebecca behind the Sorbet Beaconsfield.


Then there are the two purple verbena I didn't need for filling the box. Plant or gift? I hope my window box amounts to something this year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment