Sunday, November 4, 2018

Escaping to Ravelry

It ended up a stressful week and I find visiting Ravelry this morning a restful escape.

First came the stress of finding the last parts of my Halloween outfit after working over-time Monday evening.  Finding my black skirt was the worst.  I did Tuesday morning, though, and cleaned it up Tuesday evening.  Many people dressed up for Halloween and it was great fun.  I think we all needed a chance to play and have some fun.  However, I was very tired the next day.  I worked more over-time.  At the end of the week with activities winding down, I started to miss my mother more.  Saturday I messed up a volunteer activity for work and injured my pride.  Then a gullible cousin with contrary political opinions to me began to argue with me after falling prey to fake news.  All that led to an emotional crash for a while.  I woke up with a migraine.

Ravelry is good for many things. Through messages I can catch up with friends.  I can find out about various knitting topics.  I can look up yarn products and shop for yarn and patterns.  I can learn about various non-knitting topics and get help that way.  Because of lack of time and energy to travel I enjoy finding patterns on Ravelry.

On the whole, after developing an allergy to artificial fragrance I don't do much shopping in stores anymore. I try to at least narrow down my choices on-line and then go to the store.  I found yarn and bead stores disturbed my allergies the least.  Unfortunately due to the economy we are losing both in my area.

A few of the projects I found today:

Flowers in the Rain Shawl

I love these next patterns.  I don't know if I'll ever get to knit them.

This is where genealogy and knitting meet up.  I have Scottish ancestry from both sides of the family, with fairly notable ancestors.  I've always been drawn to Scottish things, and so has my mother.  It turns out many images and designs that we liked were Scottish in origin.  Mom was lucky enough to visit Scotland.  I can barely afford to leave my state right now.

I find I'm looking at patterns now with my ancestry in mind.  Finding Scottish and Irish patterns is fairly easy.  I'm not sure if I can attempt the intricate Scandinavian patterns I've found.  I did find a couple, though:

Leafing Cowl / Løvspretthals

Løvsprettlue

The designer is Norwegian.  On a local radio station they started a silly discussion about nose warmers. I thought the idea of a nose warmer was pretty silly anyway since cowls would work better and look much less silly.  Then I remembered I wanted to knit one for the same reason myself.  When I was looking for yarn to knit a gift, I found myself looking for yarn for this.  I'm trying not to spend money needlessly.  It didn't take much pondering of my stash to realize I had a yarn to try, Plymouth Baby Alpaca Brush Paint.  The gauge worked up perfectly and the alpaca should be warmer than wool and help negate any wind.  I'm hoping to obtain the worsted bulky yarn in the same colorway to knit matching leg warmers and mitts.





No comments:

Post a Comment