Saturday, November 7, 2020

Well Timed Yarn Yard Sale

When I was particularly frustrated with life one September morning I realized I could go to a yarn yard sale. Even though one of my frustrations was money I went. Once there I discovered the yarns were remainders from the yarn shop Amazing Threads that closed. The weather was beautiful. It was just the therapy I needed.


Here is a photo of most of my purchases. The most expensive yarns were the labelled yarn in multiple quantities. I found fuschia Aslan Trends Royal Alpaca worsted, dark red Needful Cara Mia aran weight, and blue-purple Aslan Trends Sante Fe sock yarn. I also found teal and fuschia Cascade Yarns Ultra Pima.  

I owed a shawl to someone in exchange for story-telling lessons. She likes cool colors and I found fingering yarn for that project. The dark red yarn is for a garment I owe a friend. 

I also found many unlabelled yarns that I could use for cat blankets. I was inspired by a ball of two yarns that had already been combined. I suspect they were both Great Adirondack yarns in its hydrangea colorway, one merino and one mohair. There was another ball in merino and a red violet mohair. I found a couple different balls of purple and one pink. That was enough for two blankets. I liked McKenzie's blanket from Yarn, Books and Roses very much. My cat Emily likes premium animal fiber yarn and I thought they would like the cushiony texture of the multiple strands. This was the only way I could ever afford to do it. 

 

There were knitting books but I didn't find anything I particularly liked. I did find some cookbooks I liked. I have developed an allergy to baking yeast. It is very inconvenient. I love bread. It is severe enough that I can't buy any prepared food with yeast as an additive. I can't drink alcohol or eat any food with alcohol in it. I can't eat food that's been fermented. Even baked goods without yeast in the ingredients I can't buy in stores because it's been cross-contaminated with yeast from other products. I really didn't want to have to spend time making my own baked goods too.  I found what seemed to be some very good yeast-free recipes in the cookbooks I took home.


I am also very pleased with the wire basket on casters too. It's about the size of a large laundry basket. The top rung needs to be welded back in place. It's already become distorted. I need to make a couple phone calls about getting it fixed. It will be a nice thing to have

I spent 55 dollars that day. The retail price for for the shawl alone would have been more than that. I can knit that garment now and the one for my friend. I really thought the cats would like the blankets, their first ones ever. I had wanted to knit a pretty cotton top for summer and I can do that with the teal cotton. I have a baby knitting stash at home again. (The main one is in storage in another town.) More allergy-avoidant recipes are good too. I figured out the total retail price of what I bought would have been about $1,027. I think this was one of my best choices ever.

For once I didn't go to the Adirondack Fiber Fest. It will be very hard to top this experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment