Saturday, November 7, 2020

Cat Blankets a Success

I really liked the cat blanket that Midnight Knitter of Yarn, Books & Roses made for her cat MacKenzie out of multiple plies of different animal fiber yarn. Emily loves premium animal fiber and I thought both cats would like the cushiony feel under their feet. As I related in a previous post, I found multiple balls of animal fiber yarn at a yarn yard sale at a price to good to refuse.  

The two blankets were quick and fun to knit. The first blanket I used a strand of Great Adirondack merino and one of mohair both in hydrangea, a strand of what I suspect was purple merino and silk since it had a sheen, and red violet mohair. I used size 13 needles in a garter stitch, slipping the first stitch purl-wise to make a nice edge.

This is the first blanket. The weather was still warm when I finished it but Emily seemed to like it.


I spied both cats kneading the finished blanket and looking very blissful. I knew the blanket was a success when they fought over who would lie on it. They've both had their turns. (Please ignore the filthy chair. It's 14 years old and surface washing does nothing. I need to steam clean it. I'm waiting for the heat to be on consistently.)


The bluer one seems to be the favorite. One day I tricked Molly into lying on the pinker one. Her sister suddenly decided to sleep in the box in the cat tree where Molly had been sleeping. I put the pinker blanket on the top of the lower level box to make her feel better.

Although the bluer blanket is still prized, Molly seems to like the pinker blanket too. For that I used the other ball of hydrangea merino, red violet mohair, purple and pink wool.  It's not quite as fuzzy as the other one. I don't know if the bluer blanket's appeal is the color or the fuzziness.

By the end of winter they will probably both be well used.





No comments:

Post a Comment