Saturday, June 8, 2019

Latest Bargain

When I first went out on my own, I bought clothes and other things secondhand because that's what I could afford. I still do. I realized that more often than not I could obtain what I needed or wanted just as easily secondhand and save a lot of money. Jeans are a very good example.



I often have luck finding something I like much easier buying secondhand than retail. This silk skirt is a good example. I wanted a skirt like this to wear with my new tops. I had no idea how to find one. One day on a whim I went to the Salvation Army and there it was.

Eventually buying secondhand became something I did to keep items out of landfills and decrease retail demand and the use of non-renewal natural resources.  I really wonder if it ever occurred to anyone that demand for oil also comes from all the synthetic fiber clothing that people wear.

I also try to shop locally. However, my allergy to artificial scent and the use of gas for the car limits my activity. If I need to buy new clothing, I'll look on-line first to limit my trips. This year was a good example. I wanted a white tank top for under a lacy summer shirt.  This year is the year of spandex (also made out of oil) and I'm allergic to it. I could only find a natural fiber tank top without spandex on Macy's web site.  I ordered it and will be picking it up tonight at its store.

I also buy secondhand on-line, too.  That way I can indulge my preferences for vintage items not easily found. My last buy is a good example:


As a cat lover, I like wearing cat earrings and I could not resist these.  The cats are beautifully modeled. I bid more than I usually would on the auction because the rings are gold and the cats silver and was surprised when I won them. At least this time I can also claim they're an investment. Cat earrings are a harmless fetish and more stylish than cat t-shirts.

No comments:

Post a Comment